Q. How often do you replace bulbs?
All of our beds and booths are on a strict maintenance schedule to ensure all tanning lamps and bulbs are always fresh to deliver great tans every single day. At Hollywood Tan Fairfax and Springfield, all of the bulbs are replaced at 60% of the manufacturer’s recommended lamp life. For example: If the manufacturer’s recommended lamp life is 600 hours, we replace them before 360 hours are up.
Q. Are there any benefits to Tanning?
- Vitamin D: The vitamin is D, nicknamed the "sunshine vitamin" because the skin makes it from ultraviolet rays. vitamin D increasingly seems important for preventing and even treating many types of cancer. Recently, independent studies found it helped protect against lymphoma and cancers of the prostate, lung and, ironically, the skin. The strongest evidence is for colon cancer. Many people aren't getting enough vitamin D because it's hard to do from food and fortified milk alone, and supplements are problematic. Many scientists believe that "safe sun" — 15 minutes or so a few times a week without sunscreen — is helpful to health. Click to find out more.
- Fights the Flu: New research shows that UV exposure helps prevent and fight the flu.
- Body Weight: Sunlight stimulates the thyroid gland which boosts your metabolism.
- Psoriasis: Eighty percent of sufferers show improvement with UV exposure.
- Stress: Decreases adrenaline levels and releases endorphins for the feeling of well being.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder: "Cabin Fever" or "Winter Blues" sufferers show improvement with exposure to UV light.
- Acne: Helps clear the skin.
- Vanity: Your body will look more toned with better definition!
Q. Do I need to wear eye protection?
Yes. It's very important to us that your tanning experience is as safe and enjoyable as possible. Hollywood Tans requires its customers to use approved eye protection in our salons, to prevent future vision problems that can be caused by UV exposure.
Q. Does all tanning equipment tan the same?
Absolutely not. The better the tanning bed / booth, the better your tan. There is a great disparity in quality of tans when using “high-end” beds or booths verses “low-end” equipment used by many low budget salons. With high quality equipment your tan will be brown, not red and it will be deeper, darker, richer and will last longer. Remember, the main reason you go to a tanning salon is to get a quality tan. You should always evaluate a salon’s equipment before choosing a salon to join.
Q. Is there such a thing as "responsible tanning"?
At Hollywood Tans, we are firm believers in "responsible tanning." Responsible tanning consists of:
- Moderation: All human activity presents risk, especially if not done in moderation. At Hollywood Tans, we recommend doing everything you can to avoid sunburn. This includes tanning in moderation, avoiding all UV exposure until sunburn has completely healed, avoiding UV exposure entirely if you are a skin type 1 as per the Fitzpatrick Skin Type Test ("highly sensitive to UV exposure, always burns, never tans"), using SPF when tanning outdoors, and allowing our staff members to determine your exposure time when tanning. For indoor tanning, we recommend you tan only as much as needed to achieve your desired beauty / health goals, no more than once per 24 hours for no longer than the recommended exposure time as determined by your skin type.
- FDA Regulated Equipment: All of our UV tanning equipment is regulated by the FDA and controlled by a computer operated point of sale system that regulates and records all tanning time. As a result, no tanning booth in our salon will exceed the maximum allowed exposure.
- Protective eyewear: As per federal requirements, customers must wear approved protective eyewear while tanning indoors. When proper eyewear is not used during the tanning process, the potential for eye injury is greatly increased. Some eye injuries and disorders include Photokeratitis (Cornea Sunburn), Cataracts, Pterygium (Abnormal tissue growth) and damage to the cornea. Towels, scarves or closed eyelids do not adequately protect eyes from ultraviolet exposure.
- UV-Free Tanning: While we at Hollywood Tans promote responsible UV tanning, we also offer the 100% UV-Free Instant Tan powered by Mystic, Infinity Sun Custom Airbrushing in each of our salons. The new 2013 Versa Pro, Heated Sunless Sytem will be available at Fairfax location by the end of March 2013.
Q. How long should my first tanning session be?
It depends on your individual skin type and the level of equipment. Our tanning associates will evaluate your skin type to determine the recommended time for your first session, as well as the equipment that will best suit you.
Q. Why should I use lotion?
Our lotions have been created especially for use in our indoor tanning bed / booth and will keep your skin hydrated and healthy. Healthy skin will tan more easily and hold on to that beautiful tan longer.
Q. What is a photosensitizing medication?
Some medications cause your skin to be especially sensitive to UV light. If you are taking any prescription medications, ask your doctor if it is safe for you to tan. Check out our list of some common photosensitizing medications. If you are hard to tan in natural sun then our Sunless Tan is a great alternative.
Q. How should I prepare for my UV-free sunless session?
Click here - Instructions for preparation and post-care for
Infinity Sun Custom Airbrushing?
Click here - Instruction for preparaton and post-care for
VersaPRO & Mystic Spray Tan?
Q. How can I find out more about employment opportunities
Hollywood Tans is always looking for cream of the crop people to join our team. We are always in need of talented individuals to carry out our thriving business. If you’ve always dreamed of working at Hollywood Tans, why not make it a reality! Drop on by or submit on-line application.
* We are only looking for: motivated, fun, personable & timely individuals*
Click here for an application
Q. Where can I find pricing information?
Visit our pricing & Equipment page. You can also find our up to date list of current promotion here.